Problem and Solution — DIY this mixture to protect your tulips! 保護鬱金香的自製油膏
For some gardeners have this animal problem in spring for your tulips… I have solution!
Ideal time to use this mixture — when flowers shown but still green.
You will need:
1. garden sulphur – you can get this from garden centres or nurseries — inexpensive!
2. petroleum jelly (Vaseline or any brand) – oil base so it is water proof, cheap, harmless and easy to get!
3. disposable gloves
4. cotton swabs (Q-tips) or small brush
5. small re-sealable container to store leftover
6. measuring spoon
1. Mix garden sulphur and petroleum jelly together, ratio 1:1, you can mix it on a piece of cardboard or on a stiff plastic bag.
2. Scrape the mixture in a re-sealable bottle or bag, store it room temperature, away from sunlight.
3. Wear disposalable gloves first when you are going to apply the mixture. Otherwise the strong sulphur smell is very hard to get rid of. In case of the mixture getting on your skin, it is not toxic but rather unpleasant to smell. You can try to soak and wash your hands in strong tea, that will help a lot!
4. Use Q-tips or small brush to dip the paste and then smear a thin coat on the tulip flower stem, near the flower.
5. Dispose the gloves and used Q-tips, store away the mixture for next spring use. Keep the mixture away from children and pets.
All wild animals have a very sensitive sense of smell. Through my years of experimentation, this really works! This oil based mixture is really waterproof from heavy rain or storms. When you apply it with a thin smear, you barely can see the mixture but the unpleasant smell will warn and annoy the wild animals, so they will stay away.
I hope this will help you and you all can enjoy nice tulips in your spring garden!